Brian M. Ferrell
Brian divides his practice between business transactions, commercial real estate work, and representing local governments.
Brian helps owners buy and sell businesses. In addition, he has significant experience representing clients with start-up issues, contract drafting, business negotiations, and other general corporate representation.
Brian assists developers with real estate projects from contract to closing. He represents both landlords and tenants in commercial lease transactions. Brian has helped clients purchase, develop, entitle, and sell a variety of commercial properties including single-tenant retail sites, multi-tenant properties, historic buildings, subdivisions, office condominiums, and brownfield sites.
Brian works with North Carolina local governments and their subdivisions across North Carolina including the representation of decision making bodies in quasi-judicial hearings. He advises local governments regarding conservation easements, real estate components of bond financings, public-private partnerships, public contracting, public records, and other local government matters. Brian is the Caswell County Attorney, a position he has held since in 2011. He also represents a local Historic District Commission.
Brian is active in community and professional organizations.
- He serves as Board Member and Secretary for Meals on Wheels of Durham, Inc., and supports its mission to enhance the quality of life for seniors, peoples with disabilities, and other eligible community members who are unable to provide proper nutrition for themselves by delivering meals, offering personal interactions, and providing other complementary services.
- He is a member of the North Carolina Business Law Section Council. The Business Law Council is concerned with the areas of law relating to the conduct of business, including banking law, securities regulation, business financing, acquisitions, contracts and corporations.
- He was elected to The Fellows of the American Bar Foundation in 2015. The ABF is the nation’s leading research institute for the empirical study of law.
- He was elected by his peers to serve as vice-president and president of the Judicial District 15 B Bar in 2013-2015 serving lawyers in Orange County and Chatham County. He is a former chair and founding member of the District Bar’s Mentoring Committee. The Mentoring Committee provides beginning and transitional lawyers within the District with meaningful access to an experienced lawyer equipped to model and impart the practical skills, seasoned judgment and sensitivity to others and professionalism necessary in the practice of law.
Brian lives in his hometown of Chapel Hill with his wife and two daughters.
EDUCATION & ADMISSIONS
- J.D., Wake Forest University School of Law 2001
- B.A., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill 1997
PROFESSIONAL AND CIVIC ACTIVITY
- North Carolina State Bar
- All North Carolina State Courts
- US District Court for the Eastern District of NC
- US District Court for the Middle District of NC
- US District Court for the Western District of NC
- Past President, Judicial District 15B Bar
- Member, The Fellows of the American Bar Foundation
- Mediation Training, NC Dispute Settlement Center
- Past Chair and Member, Judicial District 15B Mentoring Committee
- Tutor, Orange County Literacy Council
- Board Member, Durham Meals on Wheels
- Co-Author, “Consent to Medical Treatment,” NC Patient and Provider Rights Guide, Spring 2003, The North Carolina Hospital Association.
- Co-Author, Memorandum “Conflicts of Interest Statutes Applicable to Public Officials,” Legal Bulletin, September 28, 2001, North Carolina Hospital Association.