Brian M. Ferrell
Brian divides his practice between business transactions, business conflict resolution, commercial real estate work, and representing local governments.
He helps owners buy and sell businesses. He has significant experience representing clients with start-up issues, contract drafting, business negotiations, and other general corporate representation. He has a particular interest in helping business owners resolve conflicts and unwind complex relationships through collaborative negotiation.
He assists developers with real estate projects from contract to closing. He represents both landlords and tenants in commercial lease transactions. Brian has helped clients purchase, develop, entitle, and sell a variety of commercial properties including single-tenant retail sites, multi-tenant properties, historic buildings, subdivisions, office condominiums, and brownfield sites.
Brian works with North Carolina local governments and their subdivisions across North Carolina including the representation of decision-making bodies in quasi-judicial hearings. He advises local governments regarding conservation easements, real estate components of bond financings, public-private partnerships, public contracting, public records, and other local government matters. Brian is the Caswell County Attorney, a position he has held since in 2011. He has provided legal advice to planning boards, boards of adjustment, and historic district commissions throughout the State.
He is active in community and professional organizations.
- Member of the Board of Directors- North Carolina Civil Collaborative Law Association. NCCLA is a non-proﬁt organization, serves as a resource for information about the ﬁeld of civil collaborative law seeking to educate both the public and attorneys about the process of collaborative law and the many advantages of using it to resolve certain civil disputes in the commercial arena.
- Member of the Board of Directors- Crystal Coast Corks & Forks, Inc. CCCF is a non-profit organization that highlights and supports the North Carolina Crystal Coast’s contributions to the culinary arts. Its mission is to create experiences that celebrate, educate, and promote the Crystal Coast’s diverse offerings by providing an avenue for the community, visitors, and culinary and hospitality providers to share meaningful connections and engagement throughout the year.
- Fellow of the American Bar Foundation since 2015. The ABF is the nation’s leading research institute for the empirical study of law.
- Past Board Member and Secretary-Meals on Wheels of Durham, Inc., and supports its mission to enhance the quality of life for seniors, people with disabilities, and other eligible community members who are unable to provide proper nutrition for themselves by delivering meals, offering personal interactions, and providing other complimentary services.
- Past Member- North Carolina Business Law Section Council. The Business Law Council is concerned with the areas of law relating to the conduct of business, including banking law, securities regulation, business financing, acquisitions, contracts, and corporations.
- He was elected by his peers to serve as vice-president and president of the Judicial District 15 B Bar in 2013-2015 serving lawyers in Orange County and Chatham County. He is a former chair and founding member of the District Bar’s Mentoring Committee. The Mentoring Committee provides beginning and transitional lawyers within the District with meaningful access to an experienced lawyer equipped to model and imparts the practical skills, seasoned judgment, sensitivity to others, and professionalism necessary in the practice of law.
Brian enjoys spending time on the water with his wife and two daughters outside of work.
EDUCATION & ADMISSIONS
- J.D., Wake Forest University School of Law 2001
- B.A., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill 1997
PROFESSIONAL AND CIVIC ACTIVITY
- North Carolina State Bar
- All North Carolina State Courts
- US District Court for the Eastern District of NC
- US District Court for the Middle District of NC
- US District Court for the Western District of NC
- Past President, Judicial District 15B Bar
- Member, The Fellows of the American Bar Foundation
- Collaborative Law Training, North Carolina Bar Association
- Mediation Training, NC Dispute Settlement Center
- Past Chair and Member, Judicial District 15B Mentoring Committee
- Former Tutor, Orange County Literacy Council
- Former Secretary and Board Member, Durham Meals on Wheels
- Co-Author, “Consent to Medical Treatment,” NC Patient and Provider Rights Guide, Spring 2003, The North Carolina Hospital Association.
- Co-Author, Memorandum “Conflicts of Interest Statutes Applicable to Public Officials,” Legal Bulletin, September 28, 2001, North Carolina Hospital Association.