Henry W. Sappenfield
A Durham import, Henry Sappenfield is a trial attorney with extensive experience in both federal and state courts. Henry represents the firm’s local and regional clients in a wide variety of matters, including commercial, real estate, civil rights, employment, and estate litigation.
Henry also utilizes this experience to advise clients regarding how best to minimize the risk of litigation and address potential disputes when they arise.
Henry carries the AV Preeminent Rated Lawyer designation from Martindale-Hubbell, which identifies lawyers with the highest rating in legal ability and ethical standards.
Prior to law school Henry worked as an archaeologist, attending graduate school at the University of Toronto and participating in prehistoric and forensic archaeological digs in places such as the American Southwest and the Highlands of Scotland,
EDUCATION & ADMISSIONS
- J.D., Boston College Law School
- B.A., University of Tulsa, cum laude
PROFESSIONAL AND CIVIC ACTIVITY
- Durham County Bar Association, Past Board Member
- Durham County Bar Association, Grievance Committee
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Middle District of North Carolina Bar
- Eastern District of North Carolina Bar
- District Court of Massachusetts Bar
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Nasher Museum Friends Board, Past President
- St. Philips Episcopal Church
- Participant, 2009, 2010, and 2011 Doughman Competition