William (Bill) T. Hutchins, Jr.
Bill is a native of Durham whose practice focuses on commercial real estate transactions which includes all aspects of buying and selling real property, including developer representation, negotiation of contracts, leases and loan documents. Bill has extensive experience with representation of Landlords for both office and shopping center properties.
Bill also has participated in the drafting of documentation for residential communities and mixed use developments, including property owners’ association documents, covenants, conditions and restrictions (CCR’s) and Declarations of Condominium. In addition to his transactional practice, Bill has represented a number of both traditional and non-traditional lenders and has primarily engaged in representation of several community banks in this regard. As such, Bill also participates in foreclosure actions, both as substitute trustee and as lender’s counsel.
Bill began his practice in 1995 during a time in which young real estate lawyers began their careers with learning the skills needed to conduct a title examination. As such, Bill frequently consults with title insurance companies with regard to the status of particular titles.
Bill is a North Carolina Board Certified Specialist in Real Property Law – Business, Commercial and Industrial Transactions by the North Carolina State Board of Legal Specialization (since 2003) and was recognized by Best Lawyers© in the area of Real Estate Law (2009-2011). Bill also carries the AV Preeminent Rated Lawyer designation from Martindale-Hubbell, which identifies lawyers with the highest rating in legal ability and ethical standards.
Bill, his wife Tonya, and their two children enjoy spending time together, youth sports, PTA activities and being a part of the great community that Durham has become.
EDUCATION & ADMISSIONS
- J.D., with honors, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (1995), staff member of the North Carolina Law Review
- B.A., with distinction, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (1992), Phi Beta Kappa
PROFESSIONAL AND CIVIC ACTIVITY
- Board Member Durham County Bar Association
- Past President, Durham County Bar Association
- Past Board Member – Durham County YMCA
- Board President – Jones Masonic Campus, Cedar Point, NC
- Durham Sunrise Rotary
- President, Githens Middle School Athletic Boosters
- Past Treasurer, Githens Middle School PTA
- Past Master, Knap of Reeds #158, AF & AM